Saturday, October 4, 2008

The insane ranting of a one-legged man

:: Well, it certain has been a while, as always. Today, I'm bored and lonely, and I have nothing better to do, given that it's 3am. As usual, something dramatic had to have happened to me for me to be blogging again. This is an overdue post, but for reasons which will be divulged later, I was not in the proper "blogging mood" until just now. Hmm..I rather enjoy starting every post with this type of insane and frenetic babbling. I think I shall make these forewords a regular addition to future posts. Okay, let's get down to the nitty gritty. ::

It seems that every time I write something, the focus is on something bad happening in my life. I try to take each horrific and scarring event as a learning experience; but at this point, I think I've learned quite enough about pain--especially in the physical sense. Here we go again with another tale of serious injury and ruined plans. It all started two Fridays ago.

Basketball has always been one of my favourite sports, both to watch and to play...but basketball has been an unkind bitch as of late. September 19th was a day like any other day, if you expect to break a bone on any given day. The incident occured so quickly, no one else on the court even realized what had happened. As soon as the guy landed on my leg, I grabbed my ankle and writhed in pain on the court for a few seconds. "Let's get him up and off the court," I heard someone say. I was helped up, and I tried to walk to the sideline, but I couldn't even put my right foot on the ground. I had no alternative, so I hopped; and with each agonizing bounce, I inched closer to the bench. My ankle started to swell before I even sat down. "This is probably the worst ankle sprain I've ever had," I thought to myself.

I wasn't able to walk at all that night, and I ended up crawling around on my knees to get around. I was able to secure a set of crutches the following day, and promptly used them to attend a birthday dinner and go clubbing at Vivid. I continued on in that fashion, going about my normal routine for the next few days. I didn't see the doctor until Tuesday, four days later. That's when I found out my injury was a little more serious than a sprain.

X-rays taken that day revealed a fractured leg; a medial malleolus fracture in my right leg. In plain English, the tibia (that's the shin bone; the bone that supports all the weight carried above it) in my right leg is fractured right at the joint area where it connects to my foot. The incident occured 16 days ago (as of the writing of this sentence), and I haven't been able to walk since. A second set of X-rays taken on October 3rd showed no improvement. In fact, the orthopedic surgeon said the fracture is seperating, aka getting worse. The verdict: surgical repair recommended.

So there it is, after surgery I'm gonna have a couple screws in my leg, and I won't be able to walk for 2 months. There goes my birthday wish of being able to walk. =P

No comments: